Saturday 5 October 2013

Laughter

These aren’t my photos. Just thought I’d throw that out there. Though I would guess you could figure that out. I was not aware that these pictures had been taken until I was looking through a friend’s pictures.
These were taken just before we left for camp with a group of girls who are survivors of human trafficking. These two, Raji and Joythi, were working in our jewelry workshop in Ooty, so I knew them already. But the camp atmosphere always makes people, even if they live mere minutes away from each other, get loads of pictures together.
This time, we were trying to get Raji to smile, and she was doing her best to not smile. I love these photos. We all look goofy in at least one or two, but there is such true joy in every face. Even Raji, with all that she was trying to not smile.















Those girls are so beautiful, and I saw it even more during that week at camp. They were so happy, having the new experiences. Running around outside, swimming, climbing rocks, hiking. And the happier they were, the more beautiful they were.
These pictures make me smile. Such memories, and so much beauty in those joyous smiles.

Photos by Pradeep Rajendran. Ooty, April 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment