Friday 4 October 2013

Cow Lady

I saw her in Bangalore as I was wandering around on my own. This lady with her cows and her dog. Something about her struck me, and I started taking pictures of her. I tried to be discreet. I did not want to be a stupid tourist, gawking at the locals. But there was something about her bearing, her attitude, her manner, that I wanted to capture.


















After some time, she noticed me sitting there by the road, and came over to join me. We attempted to talk to each other, but couldn’t really manage much. She seemed to get a lot of joy out of showing off her dog, having him shake hands with me, and hearing me say that he was a beautiful dog. She genuinely loved that dog.
















Though it doesn’t look like she was terribly happy about having her photo taken, she actually asked for it to be taken. This is typical of Indian women, especially older women, to look very serious and stern in photos. My favourite picture of her though, is the one of her playing with her dog. Such a relaxed, happy picture. It seems more real to me than the serious, posed photo.








Photos by Laura Webster. Bangalore, June 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment