Monday 23 December 2013

Alone

I often see women sitting alone, just staring off into the distance, and I wonder what they are doing, and what they are thinking? Are they waiting for something? For someone? Are they thinking deep thoughts, or simply sitting there with minds blank? It seems to be a western idea that we need entertainment at all times. We have games on our phones, movies on our ipods, a book or a newspaper if nothing else. Something to distract our minds from the fact that we are alone and waiting.
Why are we afraid of being alone with our thoughts? Of having a chance to clear our heads? No talking, nothing to listen to, nothing to read. Not even a piece of paper and a pen to capture the thoughts that we have. Just silence.
How much more would we notice if we allowed ourselves to do such things? The smells of the flowers around us, the song of the birds. For me it is sometimes just hearing the sounds of Hindi and Tamil around me. Melodious sounds despite the fact I mostly do not know what they mean.
I find myself in a fine state if I end up having a wait that I have not planned for. If I think I will only be a few minutes, and it winds up being an hour, I’m not entirely sure what to do. I am very good at amusing myself, but I do that by reading or writing while I am waiting.
I used to look at people who could sit there contentedly, staring off into space, and think that perhaps they were lacking in mental faculties. But perhaps they are able to simply enjoy life without distractions. It’s something that most of us could probably use a huge dose of.

No comments:

Post a Comment