Thursday 26 September 2013

The Beginning

This blog is the result of a conversation with a friend, where he suggested that we do a photography day with the theme of “Women in India”. Sadly, we never did, and that friendship has sort of fallen to pieces. But the idea stuck in my mind, and I couldn’t get rid of it. So I began going through some of my old photos, finding pictures of women, and girls that would fit with the theme. Then I started taking pictures with it in mind. Focusing more on getting photos of women, just in everyday life.

I am not going to try to do a blog describing the lives of women in India. I would fail miserably. I have no idea what the life of a typical woman in India is. Heck, I barely know what the life of a typical woman in the U.S. is, and I lived there for 25 years. The blog will mainly be focused on the photos, and the impressions I get from the photos. Everything written here is my own opinion, unless otherwise stated. I have photos of white people which will be posted, some of me, some of friends. We too are women in India, despite the fact that we are not Indian women.
We often hear about the negatives in the lives of Indian women, and I am not in any way trying to downplay that. But there is so much beauty in the lives of women in India as well, and that is what I want to try to communicate here. Even in the hard work, there is beauty.
This blog will most likely not be one that goes on for ages. I leave India in Dec, and who knows when I will be back. I just wanted to post these, and I’ll post until I have no more photos to post.
Most of the photos are mine. Some have been taken by others, and photo credit will be given where necessary. These pictures really mean a lot to me, and I wanted to share them.
Hope you enjoy,

Laura

Photo by Laura Webster. Gandhi Museum, Mumbai. February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment